Your all–in–one resource for using Pentaho with MySQL for Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
Open–source Pentaho provides business intelligence (BI) and data warehousing solutions at a fraction of the cost of proprietary solutions. Now you can take advantage of Pentaho for your business needs with this practical guide written by two major participants in the Pentaho community.
The book covers all components of the Pentaho BI Suite. You′ll learn to install, use, and maintain Pentaho–and find plenty of background discussion that will bring you thoroughly up to speed on BI and Pentaho concepts.
- Of all available open source BI products, Pentaho offers the most comprehensive toolset and is the fastest growing open source product suite
- Explains how to build and load a data warehouse with Pentaho Kettle for data integration/ETL, manually create JFree (pentaho reporting services) reports using direct SQL queries, and create Mondrian (Pentaho analysis services) cubes and attach them to a JPivot cube browser
- Review deploying reports, cubes and metadata to the Pentaho platform in order to distribute BI solutions to end–users
- Shows how to set up scheduling, subscription and automatic distribution
The companion Web site provides complete source code examples, sample data, and links to related resources.
Your one–stop resource for open source BI and data warehousing solutions
Pentaho is a full–featured, open source Business Intelligence suite that lets you build data warehouses and rich, powerful BI applications at a fraction of the cost of a proprietary solution. This book gets you up and running with Pentaho within minutes: right from the start you′ll be running example reports, dashboards, and OLAP pivot tables while you learn about Pentaho concepts and architecture. Using a practical case study, you′ll learn what dimensional modeling is and how to apply it to design a data warehouse. You′ll create and populate your data warehouse with Pentaho data integration tools. Finally, you′ll learn how to build your own BI applications on top of your data warehouse using Pentaho reporting, analysis, dashboarding, and data mining tools.
- Understand important Pentaho concepts, including action sequences and the solution repository
- Apply the key concepts of dimensional modeling and construct a data warehouse using star schemas
- Use Pentaho data integration tools to build ETL applications
- Explore advanced PDI features including remote execution and clustering
- Design and deploy reports and charts using Pentaho Report Designer
- Leverage OLAP and create interactive pivot tables with drill up/drill down using Pentaho Analysis Services
- Concentrate and compact BI content for business users with comprehensive dashboards
- Discover and explore patterns in your data using Pentaho data mining